June 12, 2009

Parashat B'haalotcha 5769--Saying Goodbye

It has been a true honor to write a weekly D’var Torah for the Temple Beth Sholom community these past years. Each week, I look forward to diving into Torah anew and to engaging in conversation about sacred text with you. This has been both a spiritual and learning practice for me. While I will be moving on from TBS on June 15, Torah will remain very much central to this community.

In the weeks to come, April Akiva, the incoming Director of Education, will begin writing a weekly D’var Torah for TBS. April’s keen mind and love of study is sure to enrich this community.

If you would like to continue following my weekly D’vrei Torah, you can always find me online at my Torah Blog.

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to sign up for the following insightful and meaningful D’vrei Torah:

The Union for Reform Judaism distributes a weekly Torah commentary, featuring the words of a variety of prominent scholars and rabbis from our community.

American Jewish World Service sends out a weekly Torah commentary, which highlights the connections between the weekly parashah and our own commitments to justice.

Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, the Chief Rabbi of England, writes an insightful weekly Torah commentary called “Covenant and Conversation.” You can sign up to receive it.

In this week’s Torah Portion, Parashat B’haaltocha, the Israelites take down their tents and travel on from their encampment at Mount Sinai. The Israelites camped at Mount Sinai from Exodus 19:1-Numbers 10:11. The Israelites were taught to watch the Divine Pillar of Cloud and Fire that rested over the Tabernacle or the mishkan. If the pillar stayed, they stayed. If the pillar lifted, they traveled. When the pillar lifted in Numbers 10:11, the Israelites knew it was time to travel onward.

I read these words anew this week. I think of our ancestors and the profound experiences they had while camped at Mount Sinai. Life changing experiences. Even though they journeyed onward, their hearts and souls were always inextricably connected to the community they created and all that they lived through at the base of the mountain.

And so I think of my own life. My time at TBS has rooted me in this community forever. Temple Beth Sholom will always be a home to me. And while I may journey onward, I remain forever connected with and grateful to this all of you. I leave deeply blessed from knowing you and honored for having had the opportunity to serve you.

Thank you for all you have given me. May your lives forever be blessed with the light of Torah and the joy of learning.

No comments: