August 21, 2009

Rosh Chodesh Elul 5769--Counting and Accounting

Today is Rosh Chodesh Elul, the first day of the Hebrew month of Elul. The month of Elul is a time not only of counting, but also of accounting. Our tradition teaches us to spend the 29 days of the Hebrew month reflecting on our lives, taking stock of our actions, and beginning the essential work of teshuvah, the essential work of repentance. This is a time for actively turning, or returning, to the selves that we want to be.

There is another period of counting in our tradition, the period of the Omer, in which we count the 49 days between Pesach and Shavuot. Counting the Omer is, at its core, a communal experience. By “communal,” I mean that it has an external, shared meaning: We count in order to relive the days between the Exodus from Egypt and the Receiving of the Torah on Mt. Sinai. In many ways, this counting creates a sense of communal order in a period of historical chaos: We count in order to give structure to a time when we lived in freedom from slavery, but in absence of Torah.

There are significant differences between the Counting of the Omer and the Accounting of Elul, but there are also important parallels. While the Counting of the Omer is an inherently historical, communal experience, the Accounting of Elul is meant to be intensely present- and individually-focused. And yet, I would suggest that the basic structure of our work during Elul reflects that of the Omer: We recognize each day of Elul in an attempt to assert order in a time of potential chaos. In Elul, we are meant to open the floodgates of reality. We are invited to take stock of our lives, to look deep within ourselves, and to shed light on the realities of our lives. We are meant to hold not a candle, but a bright fluorescent light, to our souls and examine the places we feel are darkened.

We need some sort of a routing beacon to navigate the muddy waters of Elul. I believe that our tradition provides us that beacon in the lessons of the Omer. As my spiritual gift to you this Elul, let me suggest this ritual, which draws upon the powerful images of communal counting usually associated with the Omer.

The Accounting of Elul: A ritual for Elul

This weekend, take a trip with your family into nature. Choose the natural setting according to your own sensibilities and the place that you live: You might find yourself in a wooded area, in a park, at the beach, or in the desert. You may want to organize a small group to go together. Once you arrive, spend a few minutes in silence.

Directions:

As a family or a group, answer the following questions:

Reflection Questions:

What do I think is most important to me in life? What do I act like is most important to me life?

How do I want to spend my time? How am I spending my time?

How do I want to make the world better? How am I making the world better?

How do I want my life to be Jewishly? How am I living my life Jewishly?

How do I want to treat those closest to me? How am I treating those closest to me?

How do I want to treat myself? How am I treating myself?

How do I want God in my life? How is God in my life?

Directions:

Now go out into your natural surroundings. Collect 29 small natural objects (these may be dried leaves, small stones, twigs, feathers, seashells, etc.). Each one of these objects stands for a day of Elul and an aspect of your life for which you want to do teshuvah.

Directions:

Take these 29 objects home with you. Place the objects in a glass jar, bowl, or vase. Next to the filled glass container, place an empty glass container. Each day, either in the morning or the evening, gather as a family and take one object from the filled container and place it in the empty one.

Reflection:

What is my teshuvah-focus for today?

Teaching:

This physical accounting (each day placing one object from a full container into an empty container) helps to focus our spiritual accounting; it helps us to visualize Rosh Hashanah’s approach. Physically moving the objects from one place to another also helps us to see the work of our reflection reified. No longer must we focus only on abstract acts of teshuvah, now we can, in essence, see our acts of teshuvah present before us.

Optional Activity:

You may want to keep an Elul journal that records each day’s act of teshuvah.

Directions:

On the afternoon of Rosh Hashanah, when we gather at the beach for tashlich, take these objects with you. As we perform tashlich, return these reminders of your teshuvah to the earth.

Optional Activity:

You may want to keep the empty glass containers out in your house. Use these containers as reminders for the accounting that you did during Elul, as well as for the acts you still need to take in order to realize your own potential. You may want to remove the empty containers after Yom Kippur, Sukkot, or even Hannukah!

Let me know:

If your family decides to do this Elul ritual. Email me to let me know!

No comments: